Marhaba! and welcome to Little City, home to my blog about expat life in the Middle East since 2012.
Our ‘little city’ is now Abu Dhabi, capital of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). But as we’re new here ourselves (we moved Sep 2015), you may have arrived here looking to read about life in Doha, Qatar.
Don’t worry, you’ve come to the right place. I lived in Qatar and blogged about our first experience of expat life from 2012-15. And because I can’t work out how to bulk move all my Doha posts to a separate section of the site, I’ve decided to just carry on from where I left off (albeit with a fresh new theme).
I’d obviously love it if you read every post here twice, but if you are just looking to read about life in Doha, you can use the search facility on the homepage, or you can filter posts by month using the “Previously on Little City” drop down menu. Anything from August 2015 backwards is from our time in Qatar; from September 2015 onwards, it’s Abu Dhabi.
(Failing all that, I’ve highlighted some of my most-read posts from our time in Qatar below.)
Family Little City (we have two kids, our daughter Kid A, and her younger brother Amnesiac) are originally from the UK. We relocated to Qatar when Mrs Little City took up a new job there; I’ve now returned the favour by getting a new job myself in Abu Dhabi and relocating us again.
* * *
Looking for posts about Doha? Allow me to recommend some pearls from the archive…
- Are you a Doha blogger, too? Come join us!
- Dispelling the myth that there’s nothing to do in Doha, one list at a time
- Even the little things are difficult here. Take posting a letter…
- On self-censorship and keeping “between the lines”
- Things I learned the hard way about living in Qatar, so you don’t have to
- Yes, we live in a compound…
- …and yes, we have a maid
- Introverts can be expats, too
- When Doha started to feel like home
- What I learned curating the We Are Qatar project
- Burgers and security guards, but no cycling: our parks are not like your parks
- Your questions answered: Ramadan for newbies
- The expats’ constant need for a backup plan
- The curse of newbie expats everywhere: hitting the wall
- What we found when we returned to the UK for the first time…
- The joys of a Doha staycation
- Yes, you can go running outside in Doha
Feel free to comment on, share or ‘like’ any posts – and thanks again for visiting Little City.